Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Almond milk cost comparison

I wanted to find out how economical it is to make my own almond milk, which I have been doing over the last year, though I didn't really know how much it was costing me. I was pleasantly surprised.

Raw Almonds - $4.00 per lb (this is VERY affordable - could cost more depending on where you buy them)

1 lb = 5 cups of sprouted/soaked almonds (just more than 5 cups actually)

Making sprouted almond “mylk” (see recipe):

1 cup of sprouted almonds

4 cups of water

16 Cups = 1 gallon

1 lb of almonds make approximately 1 ½ gallons of almond milk (Or 6 quarts)

The cost is approximately $2.66 per gallon of milk using 4 cups water, 1 cup almonds.

Less water makes a creamier milk, more water could be added to make a consistency more of that of skim milk.

Then it depends on what you can purchase your raw almonds for. I still have about 20 lbs for $4 per lb.

$2.66 per gallon is much less than organic milk, but nutritionally speaking, they are much closer than pasteurized milk that has other ingredients that are not considered healthy.

You can even reduce this cost more by making a mixture of 1/2 almond milk, and 1/2 rice milk. You'd make brown rice and then blend it with water using the same recipe as for the almond milk, just using rice instead of almonds. Not 'as' healthy, but still better than consuming cows milk in any form.

If you are interested in the almonds, give me a call at 623-332-2262 or email shanna.dave@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment