Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Is Your Desire to Eat Heathy Causing Relationship Stress?

This may be getting personal, but it is on my mind. I wondered if anyone else out there is experiencing a strained relationship because you want to eat healthy, but the other person doesn't. For the last 2 months or so, I have been more and more committed to eating healthy. I eat very little meat, we focus the larger part of meals on vegetables and salads, the smaller portion of the meal is meat and other side dishes. My husband, in my case, has loved all the things I have been making. I have made him some of the things he loves and tried to add balance. I have been very cautious about not trying to tell him what he needs to eat, etc... but for some reason, he is viewing my desire to fix healthy foods for me and my family as "fanatical". I can now see that he resents this new lifestyle I am sharing with my family, and it is causing some pretty big arguments. I have a 2 and 3 year old at home and I feel responsible for teaching them how to eat right. I was amazed tonight at dinner when my 2 year old asked for MORE salad. This salad has spinach, lettuce, carrot, tomato, cucumber, mushrooms, and celery in it and she ate it all and wanted more! I felt like this was a positive turning point in our diet at home. It has taken her awhile to accept that she will have salad at just about every meal. She is actually beginning to LIKE it and is finally eating tomotos and mushrooms! I felt proud! :) My husband on the other hand, while he likes salad and eats it, he feels that the kids should be able to eat whatever they want. My response was that it is my responsibility as the mom to teach them to eat well. I buy the food and I cook the food, so I will cook them what I think will be best. He can choose to participate, or he can make something else. I wasn't trying to be rude or anything, but just stating what the situation is. I work full time, he works full time, so it isn't like I have to be the one who does all the cooking. So after all this complaining (thanks for letting me vent) I'm truly at a loss of what to do. He is resenting the "healthy food" approach and feels I'm being too restrictive with the kids. I'm so bummed because I truly thought he'd see it as a loving and positive thing I am trying to do. I don't think I'm willing to make two separate meals, so I'd like to hear from anyone who has dealt with this and provide any helpful tips. I could use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment